- The UK built environment accounts for:
- 45% of total UK carbon emissions (27% from domestic buildings and 18% from non-domestic).
- 72% of domestic emissions arise from space heating and the provision of hot water.
- 32% of landfill waste comes from the construction and demolition of buildings.
- 13% of products delivered to construction sites are sent directly to landfill without being used.
- Construction is not 'sustainable', however, as architects we do our bit to reduce the environmental impact of our work. We do this through appropriate and efficient design (bigger is not always better). Where possible we specify sustainable building materials, such as timber construction, high insulation, double or triple glazed windows, and alternative energy sources (photovoltaic roof panels). We thereby aim to create high quality buildings fit for a long and useful life.
- Space Program along with many architectural practices across the UK have signed up to Architects Declare:
Note: Title statistics from www.designingbuildings.co.uk